Is my order tax exempt?
Schools, government agencies, non-profit organizations, and other tax-exempt eligible organizations can apply for, and receive, sales tax exemption status through their state government. Customers who are purchasing for a tax exempt organization may upload the applicable state tax exempt documentation to their Custom Ink customer account through the Custom Ink website for review and approval to purchase sales tax exempt.
- Does Custom Ink charge sales tax?
- Yes. Applicable state and local sales tax will be applied to your order at check out. If no sales tax applies to your order, you will not be charged sales tax.
- My organization is tax exempt. How can sales tax be removed from my order?
- Sales tax, and the exemption from sales tax, is determined at the state level. Schools, charities, churches, and other eligible organizations are not automatically exempt from state sales tax, even though they may have received the tax exempt designation from the IRS for federal income tax purposes. An IRS designation letter or W-9 does not confirm that an organization is exempt from sales tax. All customers must provide state-issued documentation confirming their exemption from sales tax at the state level. Customers may upload the applicable state tax exempt documentation to their Custom Ink customer account through the Custom Ink website for review and approval to purchase sales tax exempt.
- Where can I find my sales tax exemption certificate or how can I get a certificate?
- Organizations that have been approved for state sales tax exemption will receive a certificate of exemption from their state. Often your organization’s finance or billing team will have a copy, or a copy can be requested from the state. If your organization does not have any documentation supporting the sales tax exempt status from the state, you will be charged sales tax. When starting the sales tax exempt application process for Custom Ink, the application portal will indicate which state form is required based on the type of purchase and the relevant state.
- Where can I manage my tax exemptions for Custom Ink purchases?
- Tax exemption can be managed in the customer portal accessed via your account settings. Customers can view the status of their tax exempt application and apply for additional states via the account settings.
- How long does it take to approve my tax exemption?
- The time for approval will depend on the documentation required by each state. Generally, if a state requires an original state-issued sales tax exemption form to be provided, the review process will take 1-2 business days. Certain states will allow us to accept a customer’s sales tax exemption state issued ID. In those cases, the validation process only takes a few hours.